Sunday, July 24, 2011

Waiting is Enough

So, I shared that if the year so far for me were to have a theme, it would be ‘waiting.’ I can’t believe how much waiting I have done! I also shared that I am not a good waiter. I don’t do limbo well. I am the one who grabs an idea and wants it fully implemented before sunup.

My husband is the waiter. He ponders, prays, discusses, sets aside and waits. It drives me crazy!

But now, not by my own will, I am becoming a waiter. I can even do so with some semblance of peace. I can back-burner things. I can trust for the right timing. I can let things simmer. Hmmm…I wonder if this year of waiting will improve my results in the kitchen, too? That would be a cool by-product, huh?

I am also learning that I can be productive while I wait.  Waiting doesn’t always mean doing nothing.  So, now while all the big things are back-burnered, I can get out of myself and do something.  Not something that furthers my personal goal.  Not something that will end the agony of waiting.  I do things that have nothing to do (that I can tell) with my problems or my future.  We have dinner with friends.  We play games, go on walks, serve in the church, read books and pray for others.  How cool it is to NOT obsess about me, and see what I can do today.

I am gaining peace and faith each and every day as I learn to wait. The verses from Matt 6 are a comfort, as is the one that says my grace is sufficient. That’s a good one! I always pray for others to be blessed abundantly. Overflowing. Shaken and pressed down to make even more fit. But recently the word, ‘enough,’ floats through my mind. Jesus is enough. I need no more.

I can rest in that ‘enough.’ My problems aren’t solved. I don’t know what tomorrow brings. I have no idea what life will look like 12 months or 5 years from now. And that is ok because I have Jesus. It is enough. What a novel-to-me-but-old-as-time concept!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me!