Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Family

Family is so important to me. My extended family is, well...extended. I don't get to see them often. I actually have to introduce my kids on the rare occasions we see my mom. So, we aren't setting up a habit or frame of reference for my kids to maintain a relationship with each other or us when they are grown.

But that is exactly what I want. I want to be close. I want to be a part of their church. I want them to be close friends with the other's spouse, babysit for one another's kids, go to each other for help. And I want to be present in their lives.

How do we do this? Where does the American dream and mentality begin? The one that gets people to pursue their own dreams and ambitions over staying close-knit with their families. In school? At college? With the job? I can't count how many times I have heard people say that the family you grow up with is just for that short time at the beginning of life, but the REAL family is the one you choose--at work, from neighbors or school.

I don't actually know where that idea takes root. But if it is college, I want them close! I have a 10 year old and an 8 year old and I already have empty nest syndrome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me!