Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

If I were to spend the entire twenty four hours of Thanksgiving Day to listing the blessings of my life, I wouldn’t get a quarter of the way through my list.  But that is no reason to not take some time to list a portion!  So here goes—in only a rough order of priority.

I am so thankful for my Lord and Savior!  Eternal life that began at the moment I accepted Him is everything.  I can’t imagine going through this world’s highs and lows without the Spirit to guide me, comfort me and celebrate with me.  Who better to direct me than the One Who knows all and infinitely loves me?  I am truly blessed beyond the curse.

I am thankful for my family.  The family into which I was born loved me and protected me.  My sisters are still my best friends.  They love me for who I am, even in my ugliness.  The family I have now is so tailored to me I can hardly believe it.  My husband loves me and cares for me.  We enjoy spending time together and hosting friends in our home.  Our goals and interests are perfectly matched—we have enough differences to keep things interesting and enough in common to pursue activities that please us both.  And my kids are a joy to my heart.  I learn so much from them and delight in their personalities.  I anticipate the future because of my family.

I am thankful for my friends.  Some have come and gone.  Some have brought enormous and crushing pain.  Most have made me laugh until my sides hurt.  Many have seen me through rough times.  The majority have taught me many lessons.  A few have been so noble and rare that I have been humbled to my knees just to know them.  Many have inspired me to strive harder in my own life to live with more meaning.  Others left me with the too-late discover that I was wrong to trust.  I have loved them all.

I am thankful for technology.  Without it, keeping in touch with family and friends would be so much more difficult.  I have a sister in Texas and another 3 hours away—too far for regular visits.  I have friends all across the nation.  But we are so close, thanks to phones, email, digital photos and internet.  Technology gives us YouTube, CDs documentaries and educational sites that I use in our schooling and discovery. 

I am thankful for our dogs.  They sure give us plenty of trouble.  But they are so very sweet and full of affection that we let them live day after day.

I am thankful for homeschooling.  My life is so much richer for it.  I have learned far more than my kids have, I know.  My relationship with my kids would be unrecognizable if we had chosen a different life style.  I have the gift of seeing my kids overcome obstacles and challenges; and that is priceless.

I am thankful for my possessions.  While I know they are ashes from an eternal perspective, for now they give me pleasure and comfort.  My grandma’s table reminds me of her priorities, her mannerisms and her love for me.  my Mickey Mouse blanket was handmade and a Christmas gift our second year in Korea.  I love having something so old from a magical time in my life.  Jim is such a cherished big teddy bear that no true family member would deny Jim’s place in the family.  I still pull him out when I need comforting.  My leather couches are easy to clean and comfy.  I remember sitting on them at the store pregnant with my girl, knowing I needed a couch that I could get out of when I was huge.  My books take me far beyond this ‘poor provincial town.’  I can dream, explore, rejoice and get scared all from that comfy couch thanks to my books.

I am thankful for my relatively sound mind and body that assist me in moving through this life. 

I have been sitting here for an hour writing this post.  That is crazy!  I don’t usually take so long.  I am so full of thankfulness, that trying to fit it into a readable post has been far more challenging than I realized.  What a good exercise for me.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me!