Saturday, November 12, 2011

Monterey Trip

100APPLEIMG_0703100APPLEIMG_0706We had a WONDERFUL time on our mini family vacation.  The Monterey Bay Aquarium offers free admittance to homeschool families four or five days of the year and we jumped at the opportunity.  It took seven hours to get there, but we got an early start that afforded a trip to Dennis the Menace Park, pizza dinner and a couple of hours to swim before bed.  Not bad for our first day. 

 

 

 

100APPLEIMG_0599100APPLEIMG_0634The park was an unexpected treat for me.  My dad used to take me there when I was a kid and I just loved the place.  I didn’t know that it was in Monterey, just a mile from our hotel, no less.  I love sharing my childhood memories with my now-family, so I was thrilled.

 

 

100APPLEIMG_0644The next day we spent at the Aquarium.  While waiting for it to open, we learned a little about the history of that area.  The kids got a chance to pack sardines as quickly as possible to get a taste of life on Cannery Row.  100APPLEIMG_0650

Then the main aquarium door opened and we were on our way!  Octopus, rays and seahorses, oh my!!  We watched feedings, touched starfish and made friends with penguins.  It was a lot of fun.

100APPLEIMG_0652

  100APPLEIMG_0695100APPLEIMG_0653

 

 

   

 

 

 

100APPLEIMG_0707100APPLEIMG_0667We lunched at Bubba Gumps, a seafood place inspired and devoted to Forrest Gump.  Our waiter was a terrific sport, friendly and helpful.  When the day out ended, we all hit the pool.  To contrast Bubba Gumps’ waiter, we next went to a popular diner for dinner, where it took an hour to get our food and the waitress stood over Brian demanding he write the tip on the receipt before she processed his payment.  Nice.

Our Bay excursion ended with a drive to my sister’s in the foothills, by way of the Jelly Belly Factory.  Minus the ticket for not having enough cash at the toll booth, that was also a fun trip.

We spent one night at my sister’s before heading home to our beloved pets and home sweet home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me!