Friday, February 3, 2012

Extravagance

Psalm 20:4-5 NASB

1 May the LORD answer you in the day of trouble!
May the name of the God of Jacob set you securely on high!

2 May He send you help from the sanctuary
And support you from Zion!

3 May He remember all your meal offerings
And find your burnt offering acceptable! Selah.

4 May He grant you your heart's desire
And fulfill all your counsel!

5 We will sing for joy over your victory,
And in the name of our God we will set up our banners.
May the LORD fulfill all your petitions.

6 Now I know that the LORD saves His anointed;
He will answer him from His holy heaven
With the saving strength of His right hand.

7 Some boast in chariots and some in horses,
But we will boast in the name of the LORD, our God.

8 They have bowed down and fallen,
But we have risen and stood upright.

9 Save, O LORD;
May the King answer us in the day we call.

These verses caught me off guard this morning. What exorbitance! How bold! My prayers aren't so grand. I find myself carefully praying words like, Your will, or Whatever You think is best.


I don't think there is anything wrong with praying such prayers of trust and submission, but the problem is that I know in my heart why I do it, and the heart is what matters. It is my own faithlessness that keeps me from asking for the desires of my heart. In swinging away from the 'name it and claim it' and 'prosperity Gospel,' I have become fearful of my own desires and God's willingness to answer them.


A while ago I realized that I prayed in a way to essentially 'protect' God as though I were akin to his PR rep to myself. So that He wouldn't disappoint me, I kept my prayer requests light and vague. I never doubt His ability to go big, but doubted His willingness to go big FOR ME.


These verses are going big. There are no Sunday School messages attached to the blessings, striving to remind us of all the caveats that come with having the desire of our hearts fulfilled. No reminder to line up that desire with His will. No caution to be mindful that 'these things take time.' No wise teaching about how God answers all prayers, be it with a yes, wait or no.


It is just an extravagant blessing. No holds barred. The Psalmist spoke with confidence and wide open hands. It is amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me!