Monday, October 25, 2010

Cell Science

I asked my husband, thinking he would surely agree with me, but he didn’t.  I guess I really didn’t pay attention in school, because I thought cells have gotten more complicated since I last studied them.  I didn’t know there were so many parts!  My husband just looked at me like I was crazy—unfortunately that is not a rarity.  So I guess we’ve known about all these organelles (see how fancy I am?) for a while now.Science Oct 2010 005

I was worried about helping my kids make sense of all these different parts with their special jobs.  Thankfully, the book was way ahead of me.  First, we drew a cell over the course of a couple of days.  Then we made a cell wheel, repeating the duties of the various organelles.  Finally, we got to make an edible cell!

We used Jell-O for the cytoplasm and all manner of junk food for the other parts.  I was supposed to add another thickener that we did not have, and boy, did that make a difference in the end result!  Thankfully, my kids learned long ago that school is about the process, not the product!

I don’t know if they will better remember what a Golgi Body is or what is does, but we have sure had fun learning about it!

Science Oct 2010 004  Science Oct 2010 006 Science Oct 2010 007 Science Oct 2010 008

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me!