Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I haven’t blown anything up for a while!

When I heard these words come out of my mouth, even I knew it was a pretty lame defense against my older sister’s accusation that electronic appliances and I don’t get along.

My microwave was needing a clean, so I popped in some water with soap.  After a minute or two, the stuff on the walls was still to hard.  So, I set it for longer and turned my back on it to empty the dishwasher.  I got distracted and forgot about the water.  The next thing I know, there was this boom and water was everywhere!  I stood frozen in shock for a moment, staring at the wide open microwave door.  Next the filter at the bottom clattered onto the stove.

Holy cow!  I ushered my curious son out into the snow, and tried to assess the situation.  I slowly and carefully began mopping up water and called my sister to see if she knew whether my microwave was still safe to use. 

I’d forgotten that my dad was visiting her.  He is getting older, so really the only thing I got from him was repeated warnings about the ‘radiation shield’ that would be under the microwave and looks like metal mesh falling off.  Honestly, I was a little disappointed.

So, I do have a history with kitchen appliances that is a little sketchy.  But my sister got online and I am apparently not the only one whose blown open the microwave with super heated water.  I have learned to include a wooden spoon when heating any liquid!

Everyday is an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me!