Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Jury Duty that didn't happen..

I got called for jury duty. It isn't the first time, and I would love to serve one day. But I have been called enough to know that there is a pattern to my jury duty experience that makes the day more of an inconvenience than any satisfying experience in practicing good citizenship.

I get called up, they find out my husband is a correctional officer and that I am a homeschooling mom. I am politely thanked and sent on my way. This is especially frustrating if I am low on the list. Waiting for two hours to be questioned and summarily excused tempts me to just walk up front and announce my unattractive traits that render me ineligibility, just for the sake of expediency.

But, I am not in charge, so I just go with the flow. I was so touched by the various offers of child care I received when I let people know I'd been summoned. My little girl said it would be most fun to be babysat by her cousins, living three hours away. I couldn't accommodate that request, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask my dad to come watch the kids. He said not to count on him, so I lined up other plans for the kids. But yesterday he said he managed to get the day off, after all! Joy!! Dancing kids! Excitement that Mommy was leaving!

You are supposed to call the night before your jury duty day to confirm that all is still a 'go.' I forgot to make the call until after 10 last night. As I was calling, I prayed. I do each time. It would be most convenient for me to just have it canceled. But I know it isn't about me. I prayed that I would love this one to be canceled, Lord, but I didn't have faith larger than a mustard seed that it would. As the call continued to ring, I swelled with faith and prayed that while my faith is small about the case being cancelled, it is unshakable in that He is in charge, and He sees the whole picture and knows what is best for all the people involved.

The machine picked up and announced the case had been canceled!! I could barely believe it! I checked the corresponding numbers to confirm that I was not supposed to go to court. I am not! I shot a quick late night call to my dad to let him know and danced my way to bed.



I was ready to go, everything lined up and planned to cover all the bases. Kids were even equipped with phone numbers in case my dad was late and I had to leave them here alone. I was ready. I also recognize that this is a minuscule part in the life of someone else. A single unlikely juror hardly blips on the screen of someone facing an impending trial. I knew my place.

I know God didn't do this for me. But I do still feel loved and buoyed by His presence in even the small things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me!